Community Health Data and Planning
The Thumb Community Health Partnership collects and reviews data that allow the partners to understand the strengths of the community, health protective factors, and health risks experienced by residents. Review of data enables partners to create solutions to build a healthier community. In 2019, through a planning grant from the Office of Rural Health Policy, the partnership prioritized Behavioral Health and Obesity Related Chronic Disease for focus and action. The 2018 Thumb Area Community Health Assessment Report provided data for this process. The partnership created a dashboard to help monitor progress including growth of the network, system changes, and health outcome indicators. Dashboard Data is summarized in the tables below.
1. County Health Rank www.countyhealthrankings.org - Health outcome rank among 84 Michigan counties with #1 having the best outcomes.
2. Years of Potential Life Lost (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services; www.countyhealthrankings.org - Age Adjusted Rate/100,000- Years of life lost based on deaths among residents under age 75.
3. Death from Suicide Rates (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services) - Suicide Mortality Trends, Age Adjusted Rate/100,000
4. Ever been told they have depression (Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Survey) - Percent of residents self reporting that they have ever been told they had depression.
5. Mental Health Provider Rate www.countyhealthrankings.org - The rate of people for each mental health provider. Higher indicates less access to providers
6. *Middle School and High School youth experiencing more than 2 Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES)* (Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth )- Percentage of students who reported 2 or more ACES.* Note data not available for Michigan or Lapeer County. Question not asked in 2016.
7. Diabetes prevalence (Michigan Department of Health and Human Services) - Diabetes Mortality Trends, Age Adjusted Rate/100,000
8. BMI Rates- Youth (Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth) - Percentage of 7th, 9th, 11th grade students over 85% of weight (overweight or obese). Note data not available for Michigan or Lapeer County or for Sanilac in 2016.
9. BMI Rates- Adults (Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Survey) - Percentage of residents with a healthy weight
10. Physical Activity- youth (Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth) - Percentage of students who were physically active for a total of at least 60 minutes per day on five or more of the past seven days. Note data not available for Michigan or Lapeer County or for Sanilac in 2016.
11. Physical Activity- adults (Michigan Behavioral Risk Factor Survey) - Percentage of residents that report no leisure time activity.
Other Forms of Data Collection
This assessment was conducted in order to better understand the behavioral health needs of the region and to promote an integrated approach to meeting those needs. This report will serve as a launch pad for important discussions and making decisions about solutions-- solutions which recognize a healthy body and mind are critical to overall wellness.